RECIPE: Kefir Water Soda
Omg, have you ever tried water kefir? If you're new to fermented foods, it's the first place to start. SO easy and so tasty. The greatest thing about this yummy bubbly soda is that it doesn't taste fermented. Even my husband likes it, and that's saying something! I have tried making water kefir a few times before, and let me tell you, the quality of the grains matters. They are what turns the sugar water from sugar water into a wonderful probiotic drink. I got my most recent kefir grains by Cultures for Health, and they are have made the most wonderful, bubbly kefir! I would definitely recommend them. They are dehydrated when you get them. You soak them in sugar water for a couple days, and then they are good to go.
Water Kefir Soda
1/2 cup Water kefir grains
1/4 cup organic sugar
4 cups water
Instructions:Once you've got them hydrated up, all you do is:
- Dissolve 1/4 cup organic sugar in 4 cups of water in a jar.
- Set it on the counter, covered with a coffee filter secured by a rubber band, and leave it for 2 days.
- Filter out the grains with a fine mesh strainer and add fruit or juice to the liquid.
- Put the liquid into air-tight bottles or jars and leave it out for another 24-48 hours.
- Put it in the fridge and enjoy when you're ready!
My son's favorite is lemonade kefir water. We add 4-6 tbsp of fresh lemon juice after the first ferment (when you've taken the kefir grains out). Then you bottle and wait. It's such a refreshing drink, and so healthy!
We are getting more adventurous and tried a raspberry, apple, ginger soda this time. I added about 1/4 cup of raspberries, the fresh juice of 2 small apples, and a couple thin slices of ginger to the second ferment. It tastes SO delicious!!!
And then let me know in the comments what flavor you make!
Check out my Videos
See my tongue-tie journey, Vivos DNA appliance updates, Nemechek protocol, Weston A Price Cooking Videos and more...