In case you didn't already know, your Instant Pot can also be used as a Slow Cooker! Some slow cookers with ceramic dishes have been found to have lead in the surface that touches the food. Yikes! But the Instant Pot has a stainless steel pan, so the surfaces that touch the food are free of lead! Here's the Instant Pot I have. I really like how quickly the Instant Pot heats up when used in Slow Cooker mode, and how LIGHT the pan is when taking it out to pour out the ghee into the jars when it's done. Slow cookers are slooooow to heat up and heavy! It's SO easy to make ghee perfectly in the Instant Pot! It's also much cheaper to make ghee yourself, so it's a no brainer for me. I get Rumiano organic grass-fed butter for $5.53/lb from Azure Standard, so I make three 16oz jars (36 ounces) of organic ghee for $16.58. I've seen Organic Valley ghee for $12 for a 10oz jar at the store!!! You can also get butter from U.S. Wellness, my favorite place to buy pastured, consciously-raised delicious meat. We're not eating most dairy right now. Yes, ghee is made from butter, which is a dairy product. Since it's only the butter OIL with all the proteins taken out, it seems to be fine for a lot of people who don't eat other dairy for health reasons. So, we use ghee for frying eggs, baking, roasting squash, and buttering muffins. It has a much higher smoke point than butter, too, so it's healthier for frying. I add as much animal fat as I can into my diet, to help my adrenals and nerves.
3. Press the "Slow Cook" button (on the bottom left if you have the Duo-60)
4. Press the "-" button below the time once to set it to 3:30
5. Wait. In about 10 minutes, the butter will be liquid (you can sit and watch it in all its golden glory the whole time, or go do something else!)
6. You can set a screen or cloth over the top to keep anything out, if you'd like, but it's not necessary. Just don't cover the pot, you want the steam to get out!
7. When the timer is done and after the ghee is cooled, or whenever later in the day you get around to it, take out the metal bowl from the Instant Pot. The melted butter will have formed a crusty top layer and solids will also be settled on the bottom of the pot.
8. Set up some wide mouthed jars on the counter 9. Put a funnel into one of them, with a nut milk bag or cheesecloth over the top of the funnel. I have a stainless steel funnel on my Christmas list! 10. Pour in the golden goodness, collecting the solids in the cloth or bag Don't overflow the jar! Repeat until all oil is filtered 11. Toss out the solids 12. Refrigerate to solidify, or leave on the counter. Store the extra jars in the fridge or freezer until ready to use. ENJOY!
Click below to head over to the Holistic Mamas of Sensitive Kids group.